Food can change your life. Food can change your body. Food can change your mind. Food can make you feel happy. And food can ABSOLUTELY make people fall in love with you… Use this recipe wisely, friends 😉
I made this the morning after my 1st love and I spent our first Valentine’s together in 2013. I couldn’t WAIT to make him breakfast in bed! He snored away while I stealthily cooked him these Red Velvet pancakes, complete with fruit infused water, and homemade chocolates in the shape of hearts – OH yeah, ya girl went in! We met in January and were just mad about each other – Already dropping the Love bomb and spending every possible waking moment together. In retrospect that’s insane as I used to be “allergic to commitment”… this relationship was my 1st lesson in following your heart. He finally awakes. The highly anticipated moment came when he took his first bite and it was like slow motion: His eyes close and squeeze together, he drops the fork, his 6’3” Jamaican self starts jumping up and down “OOoooooohhh WEEE”, he exclaims. He comes towards me and spins me around only to return to his plate and devour! “So you like it?”, I teased. Sometimes us ladies just like to hear it! Oy vey, it was like a movie! I love how food can instill within us such happy memories!
I dunno about y’all but Happytrain had a little rumble in the belly… 3 posts in and NONE of them involve FOOD! I know… unacceptable. I chose to start off with a BANG, a recipe I knew evvvveryone would love even if they pretend they don’t like carbs, because my philosophy around food is unique. The umbrella over which all my food choices come from is HAPPINESS! I have a whole post about Liza’s philosophy about food coming, but in a nut shell… when food tastes AMAZING – I’m happy. When the process of making the food is fun – I’m happy! When the food helps me with good digestion, high energy, and creating a sexy body – I’M HAPPY! So you see, Liza doesn’t want to live in a world where she can’t have her cake and enjoy her superfood smoothie, too! Balance makes me happy! Cooking for ones I love makes me reeeall happy! I KNOW you’ll enjoy this and that your loved ones will be jumping up and down with bliss too!
Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
Recipe courtesy of Cooking Classy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red food coloring
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Glaze, recipe follows
- fresh raspberries and mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk, plus more if desired
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat an electric non-stick griddle to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. Measure out milk into a liquid measuring cup and whisk in vinegar, allow mixture to rest for 2 minutes. Pour milk mixture into a separate large mixing bowl and add in sugar, eggs, red food coloring, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk mixture until well combine. While whisking, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combine. Butter griddle if necessary and pour about a 1/4 – 1/3 cup batter (depending on how large you want your pancakes) at a time onto hot griddle (you can also use the back of measuring cup or spoon to lightly spread batter from center out to the edge a bit so they aren’t thicker in the center then they are on the edges). Cook until bubbles begin to appear on the top surface of the pancakes then flip and cook opposite side until pancake is cooked through (I didn’t want the tops of the pancakes to be brownish red so I flipped them a little earlier than I normally do with pancakes, I didn’t wait for many bubbles). Serve warm with Cream Cheese Glaze and garnish with fresh raspberries and mint leaves if desired.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on medium speed, blend together cream cheese and butter until well combine and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in remaining ingredients and mix about 1 minute until well combine, adding additional milk to thin if desired. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
To Your & My Happily Ever After,
Unconditional Love & Light,
ox Liza xo